Monday, January 6, 2014

Family Projects and Various Other Things....


One of the things that has changed in the last six months is my sons interests. We still try and read daily, but it may be only one book, instead of twenty. Or we may read fifteen books in a day. Or we may not even crack a open a book. I always offer, but sometimes he declines. I am okay with that. I don't force it. I want him to enjoy reading, and to look at books as being magical, not a forced chore.

 I want him to grow up knowing that books can transport him to places he may never ever be able to see, or help him learn the things he needs to know to complete a project. I want him to know the information he needs can always be found in a book.

My son is really into building things and taking things apart with real tools. This Christmas, Santa brought him Lego's, which he totally loves. He doesn't really want to paint or do art projects like we used to do together. It makes me sad, but at the same time excited to see his emerging passions and interests. He wants to hang out with his dad a lot more than he wants to hang out with me. I guess I am not the builder his dad is.

Over Christmas break him and his dad were on vacation together. They built a train set, and are in the process of building a wooden model airplane. I love seeing them work together.

One thing that I have been brainstorming for 2014 is family projects. Projects that are inspired by books both fiction and non-fiction, adult and children's. Projects that are more hands on. Projects that take us beyond the four walls and out into the big wide world, both physically and virtually.

Most of these projects will be simple, no stress. Some of them will require hammers and glue guns, things that my son are really into right now.

I am still collecting some really cool vintage books, but am also buying books that foster my son's budding interests.

I hope to inspire you and your family to do some great projects together.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, it's so hard when your kiddo's interests change. I get a little sad remembering things my girls used to do, but aren't so interested in anymore. My husband and I have to start going through their rooms this week, sorting out the things they've outgrown or no longer play with. It's hard.

    I'm looking forward to reading about your projects. Welcome back to blogging! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danzel, I know, it's hard watching our little ones grow up. I miss the cuddles and the kisses. Now I get the, "Mom, get away from me. I don't want your kisses right now." I guess that's what I get for having a boy :)

      Thanks for reading! I am excited about blogging again!

      Delete