Saturday, January 12, 2013

Alice and Martin Provensen's A Book of Seasons


Winter is here and we are under a freeze warning until Tuesday. I think the high got up to fifty one degrees today. For Phoenix, this is cold. We are also feeling under the weather, so we didn't venture far from home today.

I have a love (and weakness) for vintage children's books. I collect them for my son, as well as for myself. I love finding books that I had when I was young, because opening the cover of that book, is like stepping back into time for me. I love sharing these gems with my son, even if I didn't read them when I was young.

Some books are complex, and some are just simple, but no less eloquent.


Alice and Martin Provensen's A Book of Seasons is one such book. Originally published in 1976 by Random House, it is a simple book about the changing of the seasons.

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
A look into a time when most all children spent their time outside. Playing, exploring nature, spending time with children from next door, or down the street, or across the creek.

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
 "Winter is here. Put on your boots. Find your mittens. You can build a snowman."

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
 "You can ride downhill on sleds when snow is on the ground. But look!...What is happening?"

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976

"It's maple-syrup time. It's the first day of spring."

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
 "Spring can be rainy."

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
"Now you can be out of doors all day long."

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976

Alice and Martin Provensen. New York: Random House, Copyright 1976
 I love how in just a few sentences, and beautiful but simple drawings, the Provensen's are able to explain the cycle of the seasons. My son loves this book, and never turns it down when I offer to read it to him.

This book reminds me of a simpler time, the time of my own childhood. Where we drank from the hose, played outside all day during the summer, even though it was hot. Ran around barefoot, spent hours on end at the farm, coming home extremely dirty, but happy and ready to go back the next day. We made mud pies, put on plays, and had our own carnivals. We made up games, and played and played and played, with no agenda.
This is the childhood I want for my son. A simple and delightful childhood. One filled with discovery, nature, play, imagination, and thousands, and thousands of stories.


3 comments:

  1. I looove this book and would love to come across it somewhere so I could bring it home! Love the Provensens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do too! I was lucky enough to come across this at the thrift store. I hope you are able to find it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I also love this book. It brings back so many memories as I remember just about every page in it. I just found it on Amazon! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete