Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Stories at 2:30 in the Morning...




Last night was so much fun, figuratively speaking, of course... I am getting over a sinus infection, and trying to wing my son off his nightly bedtime cup of milk. Which resulted in him waking up five times, with complaints of extreme thirst. After a long sleepless night, and a very long day at work... It's no wonder that I look in the mirror and see deep dark circles under my eyes... Ahh, the hidden joys of motherhood. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

It seems to me that everything we have experience thus far is a step. We went from quitting nursing at one, to quitting the bottle at two. (The bottle weening was the worst for me, I cried like a baby, because I knew that the "baby" stage was over.) Now at three, I think it is time to stop the nightly cup. I seriously think this will be the hardest for him, even harder than quitting the bottle.

My son has always been somewhat of a night owl, some nights he does not go to sleep before eleven at night. Plus, he wakes frequently in the middle of the night, sometimes, two or three times a night.

There have been many times that I have been awakened in the middle of the night with a little voice asking "mama will you read me a story?" Trust me, no matter how tired I am, and sometimes I am really tired, I do my absolute best to read him his story. Do you know that one book usually does the trick, and he is back to sleep in no time. Every once in a while, it may take two stories, but this is rare.


Last night, we had one of those nights. Except this time, he asked specifically for The Berenstain Bears Trim the Tree by Jan & Mike Berenstain. This is a cute little lift the flap book I found at the thrift store this summer for .99 cents. My son loves this book. We read it for the first time a few days ago, and since then, have probably read it about fifteen more times to him. 

So I spoil my son, but since he is the most precious thing to me in the world, I feel I can lose a few winks of sleep to read him a story. Especially if it leads to him going back to sleep, which means this mommy can sleep too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment